As the cold winter months approach, no one wants to feel the cold so we turn on the central heating. However it can take a long time for the heat to spread so most of us will turn to portable fan heaters which can heat a small room within a few minutes and keep warm air circulating long after it’s been turned off.
They don’t take up much space and some can keep costs down too. Here are summarized reviews of our 5 best portable fan heaters for you to make a quick and informed decision. You can also compare these portable fan heaters in our comparison table.
Our Top 5 Best Portable Fan Heaters Reviewed
5. Lloytron F2003WH
- 2 Standing Positions – It can be placed down its flat side or stood upright.
- Safety Cut-Off – The fan heater will automatically shut off when the highest temperature is reached to prevent it from overheating.
- A Variable Thermostat – With 2 heat settings at 1000 or 2000 watts.
- Cool Blow Function – Makes it usable in the summertime as well.
The Lloytron F2003WH fan heater is ideal for well insulated homes that don’t require the heating to be very hot. Thanks to this portable heater’s 2 heat settings and variable thermostat, the low temperature is sufficient enough to heat up a room with the usual temperature of 18-20 degrees celsius.
With the anti-freeze feature, this ensures the temperature never drops below a certain temperature so the room will be kept warm at all times.
Combined with the automatic shut-off feature, it can even be left on overnight if needed as it will automatically shut off itself if the heater gets too hot and then turn on again before the temperature falls to its lowest point.
Being quite slim with the option to stand horizontally or vertically, it doesn’t take up much space making it perfect for the bathroom or small rooms. It can stand discreetly in the corner without interfering with the design of your room.
4. Dimplex 37800
- Variable Heat Settings – Adjustable to suit different sized rooms and has a cool blow setting too.
- Automatic Safety Cut-Out – To prevent the heater from overheating.
- Carry Handle – Makes transporting the fan from room to room easy.
Economically friendly, this Dimplex 37800 fan heater has an adjustable thermostat so you change change the temperature to suit any size room which helps to keep costs down if you don’t need the heat to be that hot.
It heats a small room up within a few minutes even if it’s a low temperature. There’s a frost protection system installed so the fan will cycle on and off to maintain the warm temperature so you never feel too cold or too hot.
Fan heaters are generally quite noisy but this one is one of the quieter ones so it won’t disturb your sleep if it’s left on overnight. There’s a safety feature which enables the heater to automatically cut off if it gets too hot if you do plan on using it during the night. Many heaters will have this safety function and you can check out other portable fan heater reviews to see which ones have it.
3. Dyson AM09 Hot + Cool
No products found.
- Jet Focus Control – Choose from a focused mode to direct heat in one spot or a diffused mode to spread the heat around the room.
- Air Multiplier Technology – The creation of pressure behind and around the fan results in a powerful stream of airflow.
- Versatile – Suitable for use in the winter to keep warm and in the summer to keep cool.
- Quiet Airflow – Reduced turbulence and streamlined airflow paths enables air to pass out smoothly without making barely any noise.
- Safe – With no visible heating element, no fan blades and an automatic cut-off when the heater is tipped over, this makes the fan heater very safe to use.
- Energy Efficient – Uses less than 30% energy to heat an entire room due to its Air Multiplier technology.
The Dyson AM09 Hot + Cool is one of the best portable fan heaters available on the market today. Although it’s quite pricey, it has many features that make the price worth it as these cannot be found in any other heater.
Thanks to its air multiplier technology, the stream of airflow is constant and powerful which can be adjusted to suit your needs. Having no fan blades means there’s no noise either so you won’t even notice it’s there if it wasn’t for the airflow.
This updated model comes with Jet Focus meaning that there’s a focused mode that projects airflow over a long range for personal heating and a diffused mode that provides a wider projection of heat in one area.
It can be set to oscillate and tilted up or down as well. Unlike many fan heaters, this one has a sleep timer so you can set it to stay on for however long you need.
Compared to other fan heaters, this one can keep your costs down more due to its intelligent thermostat which keeps the room to the desired temperature during heat mode so no energy is wasted.
This fan isn’t just for winter, it’s also effective as a cooling fan for the summer so there’s no need to ever have to store it away. It’s easy to clean too as there’s no awkward fan blades or heating elements in the way.
2. Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty
- All Metal Construction – Sturdy making it ideal for use in the garage.
- Tip Over Protection – Automatically shuts off if it’s accidently knocked over.
- Frostwatch Function – Maintains the heat of the room at a comfortable level.
- Wide Heat Coverage – Heat is spread out so it can heat a room up to 30 metre squared.
- 3 Year Guarantee
Encased in a full metal housing, the Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty Fan Heater is ideal for industrial use such as in a garage, workshop or shed. However, with safety features of a child safeguard switch and tip over protection, it can be used within the home as well.
Despite the metal construction, the fan heater is surprisingly lightweight and it’s easily portable with the fixed heat insulated carry handle. If you work in cold industrial areas such as a car workshop, you could easily take this fan heater around with you.
Even though the fan heater is labelled as heavy duty, it’s not actually that big but for its size, it can efficiently heat up and disperse the heat in a large garage fairly quickly.
Heat temperature can be adjusted with the thermostat which has a cool air setting for hotter rooms, a medium power setting at 1250 watts and high power setting at 2500 watts. With the overheat protection, there’s no need to worry if you leave it on as the heater will shut itself off if it’s in danger of overheating.
1. Honeywell HZ-510E Heavy Duty
- Safeguard System – There’s an indicator that turns red when the heater shouldn’t be touched because it’s too hot.
- Auto Shut-Off – The heater stops running if it’s tipped over or if it’s overheating.
- Wide Heat Dispersion – Heat is spread out to ensure no spots are left cold.
- 3 Year Guarantee
Designed as a small red rectangular shape which could be mistaken as a toaster or robot dog, the Honeywell HZ-510E Heavy Duty Fan Heater is our best portable fan heater.
At only 1800 watts, it can efficiently heat up any room up to 22 metre squared within minutes without barely any noise. It doesn’t take up too much space and it’s easy to handle safely with the static heat insulated carry handle.
With the power settings and adjustable thermostat, you can control the temperature and how high you want the heat to be directed to thanks to the tilt lever on the side that adjusts the angle of the legs. You don’t even need to move the fan heater about to spread the heat around the room as the heater can disperse the heat well.
Although there’s the tip over protection feature in place, it’s hardly needed since it’s almost impossible to knock this heater over due to the 4 sturdy rubber little legs attached underneath.
It’s pretty robust despite the thin metal housing but it does get hot to touch. There’s a safeguard marker that will turn red to warn you when it becomes too hot to touch the heater which then becomes black when it’s cooled down making it safe to use within the home.
Conclusion | Best Portable Fan Heaters
Finding the best portable fan heater for your home or work isn’t easy when there’s so many choices out there. However, with the right research and reading our summarized best portable fan heater reviews, you can find one that’s worthy of your money and home to keep you warm and cosy throughout the cold months.
Here are some other recommend articles on portable fan heaters: